AC 360 TOPS MSNBC’S LAST WORD AT 10PM FOR THE QUARTER
CNN Sees Solid Gains Compared to Last Quarter
First Quarter 2012 Highlights:
• CNN tops MSNBC in M-F and M-Su primetime in the key demo for the first quarter 2012
• AC 360 at 10pm tops MSNBC’s Last Word in the target demo 25-54
• CNN tops MSNBC throughout dayside (9am-5pm)
• CNN sees gains compared to last quarter (Q4 2011) -- all of the cable news networks are down compared to the first quarter a year ago due to extensive coverage of the Japan earthquake/tsunami and Arab Spring
For the first quarter 2012, CNN topped MSNBC in Monday-Friday primetime (8-11pm) by double digits (+11%) in the key demographic 25-54 (276k vs. 248k). This represents the first quarterly win over MSNBC in M-F prime in a year (since Q1 2011). CNN also bested MSNBC in M-Su primetime this quarter in the key demo (256k vs. 237k).
Anderson Cooper 360 continued to show a strong ratings performance, topping MSNBC’s Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell at 10pm in the key demo (254k vs. 219k).
During dayside programming (9am-5pm), CNN had a +28% advantage over MSNBC in the key demo 25-54 (120k vs. 94k) and outperformed MSNBC in total viewers (456k vs. 405k).
All the cable news networks were down compared to the first quarter a year ago (Q1 2011) due to extensive coverage of the Japan earthquake/tsunami and the Arab Spring. However, compared to the fourth quarter 2011 CNN showed solid gains:
• M-F prime – CNN grew +33% in the demo (276k vs. 207k) and +22% in total viewers (827k vs. 677k)
• Total Day – CNN grew +14% in the demo (140k vs. 123k) and +8% in total viewers (435k vs. 404k)
• Piers Morgan Tonight grew +11% in key demo (182k vs. 164k)
• AC 360 at 10pm grew +19% in demo (254k vs. 213k)`
• Erin Burnett Outfront at 11pm grew +5% in demo (147k vs. 140k).
CNN reached an average monthly cumulative audience of 91 million viewers during the first quarter 2012, FNC followed with 77 million and MSNBC had 74 million.
*Information courtesy of CNN