Our ratings blogger is out of commission because of last weekend's snow storm. We hope they'll be back with ATC's weekly ratings post next week. Here's the latest press release from CNN on October's numbers:
CNN OUTPERFORMS MSNBC AT 8 AND 10 PM
• While CNN grows in primetime vs. a year ago, MSNBC and FNC primetime programming have double-digit losses.
• At 8p and 10p, AC 360 tops MSNBC in the key demo 25-54 and grows vs. a year ago; while MSNBC and FNC experience double-digit declines.
• Piers Morgan Tonight is the only 9pm program to grow among 25-54, while MSNBC and FNC are down double-digits.
• Erin Burnett OutFront at 7p grows from CNN programming a year ago.
Despite the cable news network’s significant ratings bump due to heightened viewership from the rescue of the Chilean miners last October, CNN showed growth in key day parts and primetime programming while MSNBC and FNC declined vs. a year ago.
In M-F prime (8-11p), CNN topped MSNBC in the key demo (233k vs. 197k) and was up +25% vs. a year ago. MSNBC was down -25% and FNC was off -28% among 25-54. (Omitting CNN’s Republican debate on October 18, CNN averaged 197k in the key demo, tying MSNBC. Without the Republican debate, CNN also still grew vs. a year ago – increasing +5% among 25-54.)
CNN outperformed MSNBC in total day (6a-6a) among total viewers (409k vs. 402k) during October. In addition, CNN grew +5% in the key demo (128k vs. 122k), MSNBC was down -10% (129k vs. 143k) and FNC lost -15% of its audience (253k vs. 299k) compared to a year ago.
CNN also topped MSNBC during dayside programming (M-F 9a-5p) in total viewers (519k vs. 344k) and in the demo 25-54 (139k vs. 85k). Compared to a year ago, CNN increased +5% in the key demo 25-54; MSNBC was up +5% and FNC was down -16%.
• 8p, ET: Anderson Cooper 360 topped MSNBC in the demo (178k vs. 175k) for the third consecutive month. The CNN program was the only program at 8 pm to show growth vs. a year ago– increasing +21% (178k vs. 147k), while MSNBC was down a staggering -36% (175k vs. 272k) and FNC dropped -28%.
• 9p, ET: Piers Morgan Tonight is also the only show at 9 pm to gain demo viewers compared to last year – increasing +4% (176k vs. 170k) , while MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show is down -21% (217k vs. 276k) and FNC declined -24% (457k vs. 598k).
• 10p, ET: Anderson Cooper 360 continued to top MSNBC in the demo (234k vs. 188k). October represents the 6th straight month that AC 360 topped MSNBC at 10p in the key demo 25-54. Despite heightened viewership a year ago, AC 360 grew +2% (234k vs. 229k), MSNBC is down -22% (188k v. 241k) and FNC lost one quarter of its audience, declining -25% (376k vs. 503k).
• 7p, ET: Launch-to-date (October 3-28) Erin Burnett OutFront has also seen growth compared to CNN programming a year ago, increasing +8% in the key demo (146k vs. 135k) and growing +7% in total viewers (490k vs. 458k). MSNBC is down -3% among 25-54 vs. a year ago (177k vs. 183k) and FNC is off -16% (379k vs. 449k).
• 4p, ET: Launch-to-date (October 3-28) The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (new time slot) topped MSNBC’s Dylan Ratigan in both total viewers (674k vs. 401k) and among 25-54 (175k vs. 92k). The Sit Room also grew compared to programming a year ago, increasing +26% in the key demo (175k vs. 139k) while MSNBC is down -5% (92k vs. 97k) and FNC is off -15% (235k vs. 278k).
CNN reached a cumulative audience of 95.2 million viewers in October, FNC followed with 78.5 million, while MSNBC was third with 77.7 million.