CNN Continues to top MSNBC in Weekday Daytime 25-54
CNN Signature Programs Surge with Double Digit Gains in P2+ and 25-54 in July
In the M-F Primetime daypart, CNN increased more than FNC or MSNBC versus year-ago, building by +15% in total viewers (662k) and +40% among 25-54 viewers (215k). This compares to gains of +12% in total viewers and +14% among 25-54 for MSNBC and declines of -6% in total viewers and -11% among 25-54 for FNC.
CNN also continued to surpass MSNBC in July during the M-F 9a-5p daytime daypart among both total viewers (504k) and the demo (144k), holding an advantage of 33% and 27%, respectively.
CNN Programs Surge with Double Digit Gains among both total viewers and 25-54 viewers in July
• CNN Newsroom at 3p increased 21% among total viewers (578k) and 28% among demo viewers (157k).
• The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer at 6p increased 10% among total viewers (573k) and 11% among 25-54 viewers (167k).
• John King USA increased 18% among total viewers (500k) and 25% among 25-54 viewers (156k).
• Piers Morgan increased 9% among total viewers (715k) and 37% among 25-54 viewers (217k).
• Anderson Cooper 360 increased 32% among total viewers (760k) and 56% among 25-54 viewers (283k).
CNN reached a cumulative audience of 101.9 million in July, followed by HLN with 90.9 million, Fox News with 86.7 million and MSNBC with 85 million.
In July, traffic and video usage on CNN.com was up over last year with 1.2 billion global page views and 89.1 million global video views.
Proving that users come to CNN.com for breaking news, the World section saw double-digit growth in July with 105.9 million page views (25% over last month and 59% last year), related to coverage of the massacre in Norway. The top two stories on CNN.com overall were related to news of Norway, one with 8.7 million page views and the second with 6 million.
Also showing steady increases in July was CNN.com’s Opinion section with 21 million global page views, 34% over last month and 160% over last year. CNN contributor LZ Granderson had the top story on bratty kids with almost 1 million page views followed by Bob Greene’s op-ed on the missing Indiana boy with more than 900 thousand page views.
HLN numbers are after the jump.
Ranks #1 in Cable News 9a to 5p Among 25-54 in July
HLN Programs Post Double and Triple Digit Gains Over Year-Ago
More Than 5 Million Tune in to HLN for Casey Anthony Verdict in July
In July, HLN posted its best month ever in Total Day among both total viewers and the 25-54 demo (702k and 230k, respectively), topping solid numbers from June and previous highly-ranked months including September 2001. It also had its best delivery ever in M-Su Prime among total viewers (998k) and ranked #1 in the dayside daypart (M-F 9a-5p) across all cable news among 25-54 viewers (256k).
Additionally on July 5, during the breaking news coverage of the verdict in the Casey Anthony trial, HLN was the most-watched television network on broadcast or cable with more than 5.2 million viewers turning between 2:15 and 2:30 during the reading of the verdict.
HLN’s entire line-up achieved double and triple digit gains versus year-ago, with highlights including:
• Morning Express with Robin Meade posted an increase of +74% in total viewers (524k) and a +20% gain among demo viewers (199k), topping MSNBC’s Morning Joe in both demos to rank as the #2 cable news morning show in the month of July.
• HLN Special Report at 5p posted a whopping +318% increase compared to a year ago among total viewers (1.016 million) and grew +195% among demo viewers (301k), far and away the most growth of any cable news network at 5p.
• Prime News at 6p increased +224% among total viewers (900k) and grew +151% among demo viewers (281k), the most growth of any cable news network at 6p.
• Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell scored a +116% gain among total viewers (960k) and +75% growth among demo viewers (298k), the most growth of any cable news network at 7p.
• Nancy Grace ranked as HLN’s top program of the month, posting a +98% increase in total viewers (1.369 million) and +89% among demo viewers (411k), the most growth of any cable news network at 8p.
• Dr. Drew increased by +119 in total viewers (1.148 million) and +139% among demo viewers (335k), the most growth in cable news at 9p.